Condition a reliable recall by building a reinforcement history:
- When calling crouch slightly and turn away from the dog, and use three short syllables to call – ‘pup, pup, pup’.
- If your dog is coming to you of his own accord, call him.
- Carry treats and reward checking in with you when off leash.
- Call, reward and release to continue playing – the recall does not stop the fun.
- With your dog on leash, call him away from distractions such as a thrown treat, and heavily reward coming.
- If you think your dog might not come to you don’t call him, just go get him.
- Don’t call him for anything he might not like to do.
- Don’t use his name to chastise him.