April 25, 2006

Scavenging

I'm used to Dusty scavenging along the beach, and usually call her back to a treat with a "Leave it!" command. But I was talking this morning and didn't notice what she was doing until I heard her whimpering and pawing at her mouth. She had picked up a piece of fish with two 3cm hooks in it. Luckily I was able to get it from her with no lasting ill effects - I have done lots of mouth looking with her from a pup, learning from my mistakes with Thommo.

Think of the laws, rules and regulations governing dog owners, and the general public who think they have the right to instruct us on them, and yet fishermen can use any area they like, and litter it with rotting bait, broken lines, discarded scales and innards and potentially dangerous hooks and sinkers. I'd rather step in some dog poo myself.

No comments: