August 17, 2005

Baths

I asked Deb about preparing Dusty for her show this week - and got some useful tips. I didn't want to turn up au naturale when everyone else had worked cornflour through their dogs coat, added eyeliner and boot-polished their noses. Deb suggested just neatening her appearance, but basically leaving her pretty much wash and wear. So Dusty will get a bath this week.

I bought a dog wash mit (it was on sale, how could I resist), and we have been playing wash, wash, wash with it, which they both enjoy enormously. See how they feel when I add water and shampoo. A petstore nearby has hydrobaths that you can use that streamlines the process. I use the Fido range of shampoos and rinses. Thommo has the Tea Tree Oil, and I picked up some of the Puppy Shampoo for Dusty. I also got some of the Herbal Rinse from the bargin bin.

Thommo would be bathed three or four times a year, but he swims almost daily. Thommo 'suffers' his baths. He'll come, and stand still, but he looks at you the whole time with a look that says "I thought you loved me. How could you torture me like this?" and then he will avoid me for the rest of the day as though I woke up with an overwhelming urge to bath things and will continue to do so all day until the urge subsides.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marj,
Dusty has been bathed previously when she was a little puppy - I think around 6 & 1/2 - 7 weeks old. I was talking to a fellow trialler last weekend about grooming/bathing pups and she gave me an interesting tip for bathtime. She throws a bunch of dog treats in the bath for the dog to enjoy/dunk/play with. Sometimes she uses the biscuit bones, but she has used a variety of treats which help the pups to look forward to their bath and not dread it.
Regards,
Deb,
Ikenheel Australian Cattle Dogs.

Marj K said...

I'll try that. I don't think Duz will be too worried, she's happy enough playing under the sprinkler, and in the sea, but if any stress can be avoided with a handful of biccies ...